Friday, July 01, 2005

Go Maggie!

Maggie Gallagher hands Mario Cuomo his hat!
Mario, Mario, a panel of scientists couldn't prove that you have a right to life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness either. The question of why human rights exist, and who therefore has them, is not a scientific question. Fobbing off core questions like this onto a panel of scientists is merely an attempt to evade moral and intellectual responsibility for one of life's most basic questions: Where does our shared American belief in equality and human rights come from?
With all due respect, Gov. Cuomo, I believe scientists are human beings, not gods. They cannot be exempted from questions of right and wrong, and should not be placed in the unscientific position of corporately issuing dicta, dogma or fatwa about right and wrong that the rest of us are somehow obliged to accept as gospel.
When scientists are placed above the moral law by society, then like other human beings, they sometimes do amazingly evil things. Scientists who believed scientific knowledge was above morality reduced black men to guinea pigs in Tuskegee. Scientists in Nazi Germany committed unspeakable atrocities in the name of scientific progress.
Let's get this straight: I'm in favor of stem cell research. What I'm against is turning human beings into research objects that are 'harvested' without their consent in the name of scientific progress. I'm greatly in favor of stem cells. I'm against cloning and killing in order to get them. I'm pro-scientific progress. I'm against creating an industry based on the destruction of human life. I don't want to eat my own offspring to find the fountain of youth -- or anyone else's children either.

Maggie Gallagher is definetly my kind of stem cell extremist!